“Everyone needs stories read to them: Mum, Grandpa, the dog, and the monster under the bed.” Source
The Share a Story theme for May is perfect for an IB and PYP school. Looking through the lens of Internationalism, PYP and picture books we examine literature that develops the IB Concepts, Learner Profile and Attitudes.
PYP and Fiction
We have many of these books in our library. Which have you read?
- Fiction Resource Books for the Primary Years Programme of Inquiry
- Literature for Learner Profile and Attitudes
Q: What is your favourite (picture book) story?
Have a look at these suggestions
We will be surveying and voting for our Top 10 Picture Book Read Alouds.
Another fantastic way to celebrate reading is through the national event of simultaneous storytime where students around Australia read the same book, on the same day (… at the same time).
National Simultaneous Storytime 2015
On May 27th we will be celebrating National Simultaneous Storytime. The book this year is The Brothers Quibble by Aaron Blabey.
Resources to help celebrate NSS
In the JS Library we also be promoting this through the Feature Books.
During the term we will be re-reading (and for some introducing) the picture books that have featured over the years.
- 2014 – Too Many Elephants in this House by Ursula Dubosarsky and illustrated by Andrew Joyner
- 2013 –The Wrong Book by Nick Bland
- 2012 –The Very Cranky Bear by Nick Bland
- 2011 – Feathers for Phoebe by Rod Clement
- 2010 – Little White Dogs Can’t Jump by Bruce Whatley and Rosie Smith and illustrated by Bruce Whatley
- 2009 – Pete the Sheep by Jackie French and illustrated by Bruce Whatley
- 2008 – Arthur written by Amanda Graham and illustrated by Donna Gynell
- 2007 – The Magic Hat written by Mem Fox and Illustrated by Tricia Tusa
- 2006 – Good night, Me by Andrew Daddo and illustrated by Emma Quay
- 2005 – Wombat Stew by Marcia K Vaughan and Pamela Lofts
- 2004 – Muddled-up Farm written by Mike Dumbleton and illustrated by Jobi Murphy
- 2003 – I don’t want to go to school written by Christine Harris and illustrated by Craig Smith
- 2002 – Mrs Wilkinson’s Chooks by Leone Peguero and Mike Spoor
- 2001 – Edward the Emu written by Sheena Knowles and illustrated by Rod Clement
List from https://www.alia.org.au/nss
So, What story would you share with someone else? Feel free to share below.
Follow the tweets at #readtheworldastory and #shareastorycalendar
“Calendar concept © Jackie French. Calendar © ACLA”
Thumbnail image reproduced with permission.
See more at
May 2015 Feature Books – LibraryThing